Monday, October 15, 2007

Live from LA

Denise and I have spent the last few days in LA. Denise has been attending the ASTC conference - Association for Science and Technology Centers. She's been leaving the hotel room at around 8 am and finishing up around 6 every day. That's left me to my own devices for the large part of the day. It's allowed me to sleep late every day and then hang out with Jess, her boyfriend James, and our friends Rob and Beth. It's been kind of difficult at times trying to juggle the two of them, but I've survived. Part of the dificulty has been because Jess forgot how much Rob has changed over the years. She felt that he used to be very neurotic and drove her nuts at times. After seeing him briefly on Sunday, she remembered that he changed and after hanging with him, she can really see the difference. Rob is very happy with his wife Beth and their new dog, Maggie. It's completely obvious after spending seconds with them... I diverge... Sunday was really hard trying to get to see both of them without pissing one of them off, so I managed to see them both and piss them both off. :) Oh well.

Finally we spent some time together eating dinner at a magnificent restaraunt called Engine No. 28 in downtown LA. Props to Rob, our waiter, who was superb. Unanimously agreed to be the best waiter any of us had ever had. He was great and really made the dinner even better.

After dinner, we got to spend some time getting to know James and that was really nice. Denise stayed up way past her bedtime (12:30 am) and a good time was had by all...

We're scheduled to be on a 11:45 pm flight to Melbourne Australia tonight. Denise is still a bit anxious because she's presenting at the mLearn conference in Melbourne. We're both REALLY looking forward to vacationing in Tasmania when that conference is over at the end of the week.

I'm a little nervous because since D will be in her conference for three days when we're there, I'll be left to my own devices again. Here it was easy since I had Jess and Rob to bring me around, show me the great places to eat, some fun things to see, etc. There, I'll be on my own. Part of me wants to sit in my hotel room and watch a gazillion movies while D is doing her thing. Part of me knows that I should get my ass up and experience Melbourne. But I'm petrified of it. I'm not even sure what I'm worried about. I'm not afraid of getting physically hurt or anything. Maybe I'm afraid of getting lost? Maybe I'm afraid of experiencing things without Denise and making her jealous since she has to work? Maybe I'm just lazy...

As my brain goes in different directions...

The Eagles game was nice to watch with Jess and James, but the team did not impress me. I was really hoping that they'd come out firing against a weak Jets team after such an ass-whooping against the Giants. The defense seems mediocre. They bend, but don't break. They didn't allow a touchdown against the Jets, but Thomas Jones ran on us at will and the Jets play-calling was atrocious. The offense seemed great until the redzone. Once we got down there, we fell flat. With the number of weapons we have, Westbrook, LJ Smith, Celek, Curtis, Brown, Baskett, I would expect the Eagles to come up with a play that can always get them those 5 yards. Next Sunday is going to be a tough game against a solid Bears defense. Although not as stoudt as they used to be, it's going to be tough to score. Plus we're going to have awful field position all game because of Devin Hester.

As for my fantasy team, I'm doing great unlike most years. I think some of my draft choices were really great. Lamont Jordan was out for a game or two, but he was a huge pickup late in the draft. Edgerrin James is also being really consistent and I wasn't expecting that. I've put a lot of faith in a few Eagles, McNabb, Westbrook, and Kevin Curtis. They've come up big in a few games. Westbrook is a solid 8-20 pts. McNabb has been pretty inconsistent though, which is crappy for a 3rd round pick. Overall I am quite happy with both of my fantasy teams. I'm usually almost out of the running by this point in fantasy, but I'm currently 1st in one league and 4th in the other. It's a whole lot more enjoyable when you're in the hunt.

No comments: